Saturday, May 26, 2012

Flat Challenge Day 4

 Today's topic: What do I think about hand washing?
Honestly, unless I have to do it, I wouldn't do it. I have no illusions that I would rather be doing something else and letting the machine take care of it. It simply isn't sustainable for a long period of time to wash this way. That being said, I had to do it for 3 months when we were saving up for a new impeller for our front loader. We also washed all the laundry by hand then for a family of 6, two of them were in diapers full time. It was time consuming and exhausting! I think the only way it can be sustainable is if you have a wringer and a hand crank wash tub.  Those two items would definitely make the whole process go much faster and easier. Actually it is a dream of mine to find an old fashioned wash tub with a wringer for regular use in the house. I can always use another washer LOL!

I adore drying outside, I simply can't get enough of how fresh the diapers or clothes smell when dried outside :) One way I have been combating the stiff factor in my diapers is using a tsp. of ecover laundry softener in the rinse water. I find I don't get repelling issues and it makes a significant difference in how soft they are line drying. If it's a windy day I don't bother, since the movement doesn't allow the fabric to stiffen up.


No comments:

Post a Comment